Friday, May 11, 2007

ridding ourselves of the line

I go through music phases. One day I will be listening to primarily christian worship albums—nothing overly exciting, just the usual. Then, I get into a stage of listening to secular music. What I find disheartening about music, and society is general is this vast need for terminology and segregation. Why can't music just be music? Why does there have to be this split? There is so much awesome-spiritual-music out there by people who are considered "secular artist", and there is that line that divides "us from them". God asks us to be set apart, but He also asks us to be part of this world. In the world but not of it.

I personally want my music to minister to everyone, not something contingent on a person’s spiritual journey. And if you think about it, every person in the world is on a spiritual journey. There is no segregating line. All that is black and white is whether we are actively choosing God, or actively choosing everything but God, and in that we are set apart.

I am seeing more and more today this line of segregation. "Let's go out and save the heathens." We all are heathens. There need not be a line drawn in the sand. Maybe there is a stage of our spiritual walk where we are called to be in close community with other believes a majority of our time (and by no means am I saying that it is wrong to be in close community with people who share your values, beliefs and spiritual fervor) but there is another time where we are set apart to be in the world but not of the world. To rid ourselves of that line and embrace humanity in the beauty of its brokenness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever hear the song "Show me the Way" by Styx? A song you would love. Lyrics below:

Every night I say a prayer in the hope that theres a heaven
And every day Im more confused as the saints turn into sinners


All the heroes and legends I knew as a child have fallen to idols of clay

And I feel this empty place inside so afraid that Ive lost my faith

Show me the way, show me the way
Take me tonight to the river
And wash my illusions away
Show me the way


And as I slowly drift to sleep, for a moment dreams are sacred
I close my eyes and know theres peace in a world so filled with hatred


That I wake up each morning and turn on the news to find weve so far to go
And I keep on hoping for a sign, so afraid that I just wont know


Show me the way, show me the way
Take me tonight to the mountain
And take my confusion away


And if I see a light, should I believe
Tell me how will I know


Show me the way, show me the way
Take me tonight to the river
And wash my illusions away
Show me the way, show me the way
Give me the strength and the courage

To believe that Ill get there someday
Show me the way


Every night I say a prayer
In the hope that theres a heaven...

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.